What better way to gain the strength and energy to carry you through a hectic morning schedule than with a steaming bowl of freshly cooked oatmeal.It's the most perfect way to start a day.Oats, oat bran, and oatmeal contain a specific type of fiber known as beta-glucan. Since 1963, study after study has proven the beneficial effects of this special fiber on cholesterol levels.Studies show that in individuals with high cholesterol (above 220 mg/dl), consuming just 3 grams of soluble oat fiber per day (an amount found in one bowl of oatmeal) typically lowers total cholesterol by 8-23%. This is highly significant since each 1% drop in serum cholesterol translates to a 2% decrease in the risk of developing heart disease.Oats, via their high fiber content, are already known to help remove cholesterol from the digestive system that would otherwise end up in the bloodstream. Now, the latest research suggests they may have another cardio-protective mechanism. Antioxidant compounds unique to oats, called avenanthramides, help prevent free radicals from damaging LDL cholesterol, thus reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease, suggests a study conducted at Tufts University and published in The Journal of Nutrition. In laboratory studies reported in Surgery, beta-glucan significantly enhanced the human immune system's response to bacterial infection. Beta-glucan not only helps neutrophils (the most abundant type of non-specific immune cell) navigate to the site of an infection more quickly, it also enhances their ability to eliminate the bacteria they find there.Starting your day with a bowl of oatmeal may boost your immune response in addition to your morning energy levels.Studies also show that beta-glucan has beneficial effects in diabetes as well. Type 2 diabetes patients given foods high in this type of oat fiber or given oatmeal or oat bran rich foods experienced much lower rises in blood sugar compared to those who were given white rice or bread. Starting out your day with a blood sugar stabilizing food such as oats may make it easier to keep blood sugar levels under control the rest of the day, especially when the rest of your day is also supported with nourishing fiber-rich foods. Today we are sharing with you a delicious healthy recipe that will boost your immune and keep you stay heart healthy. For those who are strictly on health issue do skip cheese.Oat soup is a yummy healthy dish can be enjoyed by all. So don't wait try a healthy yummy oats soup.
- 1 cup oats
- 2 tbsp finely chopped beetroot
- 5 to 6 small broccoli florets
- 1/4 tsp whole cumin seed
- 1/4 tsp finely garlic choped
- 1/2 tsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp finely chopped mint and cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp finely sliced cheese (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 tbsp fresh tomato puree
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 1 tsp lime juice (optional)
- to taste salt and pepper
- Heat oil in a pan add the whole cumin, chopped onion and garlic. Toss a little then add chopped beetroot and broccoli. Toss a bit then add tomato puree add salt and pepper. Add oats and mix with the veggies. Add warm water. Cook till the oats are done stirring continuously so that no lumps are formed. Now add lime zest and lime juice (if using) this give a very fresh aroma to this soup. Garnish with chopped coriander and mint leaves and few fine slices of cheese if using. Enjoy a hearty healthy oats soup.
Linking it to Eat Nutritious, Feel Fabulous Challenge started by Jagruti and Nivedita.
Be Happy And Stay Healthy.